Because I'm slow

and need to take my time when drawing, the number of original drawings that come off my board yearly only just make it into double figures.
Each created diligently and lovingly over dozens and dozens of hours.

This leads to frustration (yep!) compensated by either filling the studio loudly with alternative rock, way too many cups of coffee and on a really mad day extremely strange dance moves.
When I say pencils rock they really do but in a slow kinda Zen way ;)

This must be why I've discovered iphotography (which I now use as quick fix for my frustration)
Daily walks take me on compositional adventures.
I don't sketch: I shoot!
Daily and feed Instagram.

In total opposite to the slow brewing and care needed for one of my pencil drawings, this quick and very snappy medium brings a freedom to my creativity and compositional vision. Blink and the light is gone. Hesitate and the moment is a has been.
It's thrilling.








Comments

Lissa Rachelle said…
These are SO beautiful, Sheona!! You definitely have an eye and knack for photography as well as drawing! :)

I can so relate to the frustration of working in pencil and the need for a looser, faster alternative medium to have some fun with. I LOVE working in pencil too, love everything about it including the zen-like, endless hours spent niggling over every little detail...but definitely need a break with something else now and again! LOL For me, it is sketching and am recently discovering the scribbly freedom of sketching in ink and watercolour :)
Unknown said…
Thank you Lissa ;)
Sometimes I wonder if it's not the speed of our society that gets to me and makes me feel left out! Trying to keep up with the constant flow of info and presence everyone shows through social media sometimes makes me feel like a 200 year old turtle because I have not posted new work for weeks. I'll never let this pressure affect my drawings and their quality but I must admit to feeling it.
Linda Shantz said…
Glad you've found something to balance the nature of drawing in pencil! I always love going back to pencil after painting, because it definitely uses a different part of your brain. That said...I haven't done it in a while! Think I need too! Enjoying the photos. ;-)
Unknown said…
Linda I agree totally. Drawing is calming and very satisfying yet some days can drive me totally round the bend 'cause it feels off. A quick walk with the camera and all seems to settle again. Look forward to seeing your drawings ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Frederic Edwin Church THE 19th Century American landscape artist.

Mathieu Kessels: le Deluge.

Rien Poortvliet, Dutch artist and illustrator well worth remembering.

Rembrandt's drawings and sketches: powerful strokes.

Grey as in grey stallion