Study in graphite of horse's leg



The coffee shakes finally wore off (bad time management there!) and the finishing touches were finally drawn with a steady hand.

Here's "Elbow Room".
The wee story behind this drawing is the direct result of Albert Camus' fantastic quote "freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better". 

SO, I decided to take a (well needed) break from commission and exhibition work, let go of the various pressures and see what my mind would give me.
I became deaf to "what might be nice to draw" and set myself instead a biggish technical challenge. 
How do you or rather how would I give a vertical line energy?

"Elbow Room" is taken from reference photos I have had (stashed away in both my mind and studio) for over 7 years. This is the foreleg of a Rh.D. kaltblutt stallion stationed at the Warendorf National Stud (Landgestuet Warendorf) .
I used pencil (2B & 6B) for the entire drawing. The shadow on the left leg is "glazed" over with loose charcoal (6B).  

This was fun and somehow I feel as though I've been away for the last 2 days...strange!
Will definitely  be back at the drawing board tomorrow with extra gusto and.... NO coffee (well maybe only one!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frederic Edwin Church THE 19th Century American landscape artist.

Mathieu Kessels: le Deluge.

Rien Poortvliet, Dutch artist and illustrator well worth remembering.

Rembrandt's drawings and sketches: powerful strokes.

Grey as in grey stallion